A Guide to Safe and Effective Caving Georges Marbach & Bernard Tourte Translated and adapted from the French by Melanie Alspaugh 2002
The english edition of the classic French manual, a definitive source for vertical and horizontal caving techniques among cavers worldwide, is now translated and updated from the Third French Edition (2000). While it emphasizes vertical caving and rigging practices, it also presents new and thorough discussions on many other aspects of cave exploration, such as:
- equipment specifications and use
- training, diet, and mental well-being
- travelling efficiently through the cave, on and off rope
- systematic prospection methods
- emergency self-and small party-rescue.
Whether you cave on or off-rope, in the high mountains or in the equatorial jungle, as a
speleo-tourist or a hardcore explorer, this book provides essential information on how to optimize your efficiency and ensure your ultimate safety in the challenging environment of vertical caves.